Thanks for that update. Just to elaborate a little about the upgrade, or any upgrade for that matter...backup, backup, backup. Backup your data with Blackberry Desktop Manager before doing any upgrade so you won't lose your data. If you have never upgraded a Blackberry before, there is any easy to follow website that gives detailed information on how-to upgrade at Crackberry found here. Good luck,
When is this up date released?
Where do I go to get it?
Never upgraded before
The update will be released by Verizon on Monday night about midnight. You will need to go to http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/ to download the update to your computer. If you have never updated a Blackberry, you need to read the how-to article at Crackberry.com found at http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-how-install-or-upgrade-new-rim-operating-system-os that explains how to install an update for an OS. One very important thing is to back up your device's current information such as contacts, etc. so you will not lose any information. Do that with Blackberry Desktop Manager.
Verizon Wireless has officially released Version 5.0 for the Blackberry Tour 9630! The upgrade was available 3/29/10 @ 11:59pm. There are a few methods to update your device:
- Desktop Manager Software
- Web based software
- Over the air (wireless from your device)
Some of they key advantages include:
- Camera Smoother operation in both camera and video applications.
- Calling Improved Bluetooth functionality for last number dialed, enhanced functionality for Voice Activated Dialing in both French and English, improved missed call log showing missed Call Waiting calls, and upgraded Call Waiting caller ID and call timer.
- Messaging Improved functionality for reading, sending, forwarding, and deleting SMS messages as well as corrected in-box display when in holster.
- Bluetooth Improvements in operation when using VZ Navigator
- Push To Talk Push To Talk capability
Downloaded version 188.8.131.521 last night and some things do seem to work better. However, I've noticed that the Mute key no longer puts the phone in standby mode. Is there a reason RIM/VZW removed this functionality? I frequently used this in order to conserver battery power while at the same time locking the keyboard. The lock button does not fully lock all of the keys and if the phone is in your pocket the display will constantly be activated.